Bridging the Gap from Undergraduate to Graduate School
There are many components to consider when planning your future education...from determining what graduate degree to pursue, how to fund your degree, or even deciding if graduate school is for you. The Bridge to Graduate School Program serves as an introduction and an opportunity to learn more about the graduate school process and how to tackle some of the biggest challenges prospective graduate and professional students face, including writing a personal statement, refining your resume, financing your graduate school education, and networking in graduate school. This program gives you the ability to plan the path towards your graduate education with the supportive network of peers, CARE staff, faculty, and graduate student mentors. Participants also satisfy many CARE requirements and may be able to earn elective credit on their transcript.
Mission of the Bridge to Graduate School
The outcome of this course is for each student to have an application portfolio that includes a drafted personal statement, resume, list of recommenders, list of schools, and additional information about graduate and professional school!
How to Qualify for the Bridge to Graduate School Program
The Bridge to Graduate School is open to ALL FSU students who meet the following criteria:
- Must be classified as either a racial/ethnic minority, first-generation, OR Pell-grant eligible student
- Must have earned at least 60 total credit hours by the start of the program
- Must have at least a 2.75 GPA (Junior) or 3.0 GPA (Senior)
For more information or to register for the program, contact Brittany Brewster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Participate in the Bridge to Graduate School
There are two ways for students to get involved in B2GS.
- Option 1: 1-Credit Hour Course (EDF 4906) - You can take the B2GS as a regular 1-credit hour course which will satisfy one elective credit and many CARE requirements (if applicable). This option will carry the cost of a 1-credit hour course.
- Option 2: 0-Credit Hour Course - You can take the B2GS as a 0-credit hour course. This option provides no elective credit, but will give you credit to satisfy many CARE requirements (if applicable). This option will not have a cost associated as long as you are enrolled in other courses for the term.
Mentoring with the Bridge to Graduate School
Participants of the Bridge to Graduate School benefit from one-on-one mentoring with a current FSU graduate school student. Mentors serve as a resource by providing students a perspective to their questions and giving advice on transitioning to graduate or professional school. Mentors attend at least two class sessions in a semester and meet monthly with their assigned mentees.
Mentors not only build a relationship with undergraduate students seeking to enroll in graduate school, but have access to professional development stipends for materials/supplies, research, and/or conference travel.
If you are interested in becoming a Bridge to Graduate School mentor, please contact Brittany Brewster at email@example.com.