• Satisfactory Academic Progress & Financial Aid

Make Satisfactory Academic Progress

You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid. In other words, you have to make good enough grades and complete enough classes (credits, hours, etc.), to keep moving toward successfully completing your degree or certificate in a time period that’s acceptable to FSU.

FSU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid is listed below. For the most up-to-date information, go to the Office of Financial Aid’s website to be sure you have the most accurate information on SAP.

  • All students must have a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
  • Credit Hours
    • Undergraduate students must graduate within 150% of their degree program requirements. If your degree requires 120 credit hours, you must complete your requirements by reaching 180 credits.
    • Students in programs which require more than 120 credits may be eligible upon review.
    • All hours attempted toward the degree (including transfer hours accepted toward the degree) will be counted.
  • Completion Percentage
    • All students must complete 67% of credits attempted toward the degree (including transfer hours accepted towards degree).
    • All coursework accepted toward the degree (including transfer credit accepted) is included in the attempted and completed calculations including Withdrawals, Incompletes, and Repeated Courses.
    • Remedial Coursework or ESOL courses are not counted in Attempted or Earned calculations.

SAP Appeals - Types and Forms

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeals must be submitted with the correct forms to be considered. There are two types of Satisfactory Progress Appeal forms.

  1. Appeals based on circumstances (If your file is on hold for Satisfactory Progress and you wish to file an appeal based on an unusual circumstance, please download, print, complete and submit this form to the Office of Financial Aid)
  2. Appeals based on credit hours (If your file is on hold for Satisfactory Academic Progress and you wish to file an appeal based on a re-evaluation of your academic hours (attempted/earned) - please download this form and review it with your department and/or adviser)

These appeals must be submitted separately with the appropriate documentation. All documentation needed is detailed on the form, so please read carefully. Click Here to download the most up-to-date form from the Office of Financial Aid.

Information on Withdrawals & SAP

All courses attempted, including any withdrawal after the end of the Drop/Add, retroactive withdrawals, term withdrawals and medical withdrawals, will be considered for Satisfactory Progress. Hours will be counted as attempted but not completed, lowering your completion percentage.

Fill Out the FAFSA Each Year

When you fill out the FAFSA, you are applying for aid for a specific year. In order to receive aid the next year, you’ll need to submit that next year’s FAFSA. Luckily, the FAFSA website makes it easy for you by allowing you to submit a Renewal FAFSA that remembers certain information you reported the year before and places it in your new FAFSA.

title-inside title-centered