Minimum Requirements and Eligibility
Students selected for the participation in CARE begin in the Summer Bridge Program. All must be first-generation college students from financially disadvantaged backgrounds who have demonstrated a strong desire to succeed.
- 3.0 GPA (weighted),
- 980 SAT/old SAT 1330, and/or
- 19 ACT
Financial Eligibility Guidelines
- Must be socioeconomically disadvantaged (as determined by the FAFSA and financial documentation).
- Students must apply for financial aid by completing BOTH the 2016-17 FAFSA (available now) AND the 2017-18 FAFSA (opens October 1, 2016). They can be found at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov .
- All students admitted to CARE must be eligible for the Pell Grant during summer and fall/spring terms.
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Must be a first-generation college student (neither parent can have obtained a bachelor’s degree or higher)
- Must meet minimum academic requirements – 3.0 GPA; 980 SAT (old SAT total score 1330), and/or 19 ACT
- Must be socio-economically disadvantaged and Pell-eligible (as determined by the FAFSA and supporting financial documents)
- Must submit the Self-Reported Student Academic Record (SSAR)
- Must submit official ACT and/or SAT test scores.
- Must be a Florida Resident
- Must be eligible for Federal financial aid
- Must complete the CARE essay prompt
A completed application requires the following items:
- FSU Admissions Application admissions.fsu.edu
- Completed Self-Reported Student Academic Record (SSAR)
- $30 application fee OR approved application fee waiver
- CARE essay prompt:Resiliency shows your ability to adapt and succeed in spite of obstacles or other challenges. In 650 words or less, please give an example of how you were resilient and what you learned from that experience.
- Official SAT and/or ACT test scores
- Both the 2016-2017 AND 2017-18 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at fafsa.ed.gov (The 2017-18 FAFSA will open on October 1, 2016).
- NOTE: Students are encouraged to use the Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA website
Academic Profile of 2016 Admitted CARE Students
The academic profile of freshmen accepted to CARE in 2016 was the following:
- High School Weighted GPA Average: 3.784 (Middle 50% of applicants had between 3.5 – 4.1 GPA)
- Old SAT Average: 1570 (Middle 50%: 1460 – 1670)
- New SAT Average: 1130 (Middle 50%: 1060- 1200)
- ACT Average: 23.3 (Middle 50%: ACT mid: 21 - 25)
Additional Selection Information
Florida State University and the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE) are committed to providing access to higher education for educationally and economically disadvantaged students. The CARE Admissions Committee only reviews applications that are complete, containing all required attachments. Please note that acceptance is based on a variety of factors, which include (but are not limited to) academic performance, test scores, and essays. Meeting minimum academic measures does not guarantee admission into CARE. Decisions by the CARE Committee are based on a variety of factors including academic performance, test scores, student essay responses, educational history, family income, socioeconomic background, and family educational level.