CARE / Summer Bridge Program
Summer Bridge Program
The CARE Summer Bridge Program (SBP) provides a comprehensive program of orientation and academic support designed to ease the transition from high school to college while building a strong academic foundation. Applicants selected to participate in CARE will be first-generation college students from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds who have demonstrated a strong desire to succeed.
First-generation is defined as
- An individual whose natural or adoptive parents did not receive a bachelor's degree;
- An individual who, prior to the age of 18, regularly resided with and received support from only one parent and whose supporting parent did not receive a bachelor's degree; or
- An individual who, prior to the age of 18, did not regularly reside with or receive support from a natural or an adoptive parent.
Summer Bridge Program Experience
All CARE participants will live together in campus housing during the initial summer term, along with current Florida State students who will serve as residential peer counselors, guides, and mentors. Participants will also:
- Tour campus facilities and the local community
- Meet key University faculty, staff, and administrators who will become part of the student’s support system
- Meet campus student leaders to learn more about what the University has to offer
- Participate in cultural enrichment activities
- Have fun and make lifelong friends.
Students admitted to the University through CARE will begin their studies during the summer term. Throughout the remainder of their enrollment at FSU, they will participate in a variety of required and optional activities to ensure successful completion of their bachelor's degree.
Information on applying to the FSU Summer Bridge Program. Find out steps required to complete the 2015 CARE Application, as well as tips on how to submit the online application.
Information on minimum qualifications for admission to the Center for Academic Retention and Enhancement (CARE) through the Summer Bridge Program.
Overview of the activities and services students receive as members of the CARE Summer Bridge Program.